Back in July, I announced that a 12-year old girl was moving in with my roommate and I to temporarily care for while her father get back on his feet. Over the course of raising her in the months leading up to this day, we’ve found out she’s a problem child, a strong-willed one that doesn’t want to learn from the mistakes of others, but rather learn them herself the hard way. It has taught me many lessons that will be valuable for when I have my own kid(s) someday. Painful lessons, but necessary ones, regardless.
Here’s the things I learned:
- She’s boy crazy to the point that it is ridiculous
- Can and will talk on the phone for hours, neglecting homework, chores, and so on
- No interest in school at all, only wants to socialize and get in trouble
- Reported to smoke pot in the bathroom, and rumors that she took uppers
- Bad mouths teachers in the classroom to get supposed reputation with the kids
- Stole both my digital camera and iPod on seperate days to show off at school
- No respect for property, has broken glasses, my digital camera, my iPod, and many other objects
- Listens to gangsta rap with lyrics that have lewd content, and incessant swearing
- Swears constantly, and throws temper tantrums often, throwing objects around her room with abandon
- Repeatedly brags about how she kisses boys and likes to be a slut
There are a lot more I’m not listing, though. Repeated attempts to discipline her with chores, writing assignments, and taking away her possessions like the radio, CD’s, television, and worst of all, the phone, have all failed in curbing her enthusiasm for trouble. What she really needed was a spanking, but I wasn’t under any legal obligations to do so, and her father is a wimp and won’t spank her. She’s a spoiled rotten brat who wants her way, and when she didn’t, she would throw temper tantrums, scream, and pout.